Minutes of the Meeting:
The January Pensacola Hawg Hunters meeting was brought to order at 7 P.M. on February 20, 2008 at Founaris Brothers Restaurant. President John Buck presided. There were 17 members present, and 1 guest -
Jim Bailey Jr. - Welcome.
Members Of The Board:
Asst. Tournament Director
Jim Bailey Sr
Mr. John Knight from the Florida State Fish and Wildlife Conservation Research Institute gave an hour long presentation on the Bass population of the Northwest Florida and Mobile delta areas.
A Little Salt:
Some of the high lights included:
· Studies show that it takes the Bass in the tidal areas approximately three years to reach a 12 inch legal limit.
· Larger fish, four pounds and up have declined in these areas and seem to have almost disappeared in some areas.
· Fish in the tidal areas seem to be able to withstand saltwater up to approximately 12%. Normal salt range in these areas is only 3%.
· There is no evidence that fish move up or down the river systems to escape salt levels.
· Largest food source is crabs, followed by fish (shad, minnows, etc
) and shrimp.
To all my friends who sent me best wishes in 2007 or promises of good luck.
It Did Not Work.
For 2008 could you just send either money, chocolates, or gas vouchers.