John Buck
John's Club Report
Covering The Pensacola Hawg Hunters
2009 Season

Email: John Buck

Founded In 1975

July Tournament
Total Number Fished Tournament 20

Total Fish Caught 22
Total Dead Fish 0
Total Limits 0
Big Fish
Total Fish Weight 29.96 lbs

Total Year Standings
Total Number Fished For Year 160

Total Fish Caught 368
Total Dead Fish 5
Total Limits 25
Big Fish
Total Fish Weight 537.59 lbs

1st Place
John Buck
3 Fish 4.43 lbs
2nd Place
Dave Dyess
3 Fish 4.13 lbs
3rd Place
Don Jahnke
2 Fish 3.76 lbs
4th Place
Buddy Yates
3 Fish 3.60 lbs

Place Name Fish Weight
1. John Buck 3 4.43
2. Dave Dyess 3 4.13
3. Don Jahnke 2 3.76
4. Buddy Yates 3 3.60
5. Ken Repine 2 3.25
6. Ron Bridges 2 2.32

*** Tournament Big Fish ***
Don Jahnke
2.88 lbs

Also Fished
Jeff Weaver - Mack Cramer - Frank Dodge
Randy Cole
- Tony Boyett - Dave Bock
Marc Churchwell - Donnie Lewis - Rick Howard

Place Name Fish Weight
7. Lee Brannon 2 2.17
8. Glenn Kittrell 1 2.08
9. Jere Jaillite 2 1.84
10. Kevin Simmons 1 1.48
11. Billy Myrick 1 .90


Alabama River
July 18, 2009
Holly Creek
An unexpected cool front approached the area giving us wonderful temps for our July tournament. Lows of near 70 greeted us in the early morning and the high only got to the upper 80's. It almost felt like early fall! The water temps had even dropped a bit during the past few days and in both lakes and the river it held steady around 84-86. Those temps may sound high to some but to us they were really welcome. I guess the biggest downer was the blue bird skies that we had most of the day. We had 20 members fish the tournament. Water color was muddy to heavy stain in most creeks/lakes, and in both the Alabama and Tombigbee Rivers.

Glen Kittrell and I fished together and decided to spend our time in Boatyard Lake, or at least stay there for the first few hours. Right away Glen put a nice 2 lb keeper in the boat on a spinner bait. I was throwing a buzz bait and got a couple of rolls but no takers.
I switched to a bang'o lure and soon hooked up- with a keeper. After about 25 more minutes and no bites I went back to the buzz bait. Glenn kept getting short hits but no real takers again. As we neared a floating boat house Glen had a whale come up after his spinner bait but missed the hook up. It was a huge bass, you know the kind you can talk about and not lie! A little further down the creek I had a nice 2.5 lb lm nip at my buzz bait when I had about 2 feet of line out. I got lucky and he barely hooked himself on the trailor hook. I simply lifted him in the boat and he fell off the hook immediately so I quickly pushed him off the deck and into the floor and then put him in the livewell. Another 20 minutes without a hit, and I decided to throw a crankbait and on the first cast got a fish.
We continued for another 20 minutes and decided to leave for another bank that I liked in the creek. Upon arriving we both broke off a couple of fish and caught 2 short fish each and then my phone rang. It was Frank Dodge, he had broke down at Mt. Vernon and needed a tow. So at 10:15 we packed up and left to get them. Glad I had my tow rope because we would have had to use their shirts to tie up with if I hadn't had it. Anyway we were able to tow them back all the way to Holly Creek and got them there at 1:40 and the weigh in was at 2:00PM. We ran about a quarter mile up the lake and tried to fish for the last 15 minutes but had no luck there.

At the scales there were many long faces. Buddy Yates took 4th place with 3 fish for 3.60 lbs. Don Jahnke took 3rd with 2 fish @ 3.76 lbs. Dave Dyess took 2nd place with 3 fish @ 4.13, and John Buck took the win with 3 fish for 4.43 lbs. Don Jahnke also had the lunker @ 2.88 lbs. Talk about surpised, I would never have guessed that I would get a win with that small bag of fish, but hey miracles happen! It was really a tough day on the water even though we had comfortable conditions. 20 guys only brought 22 fish to the scales. We caught our 4 fish on spinner bait, crank bait, buzz bait, and bang 'o lure, everything except plastics. Others said that plastic was the only thing they could even get bit with. I think it was just a matter of getting your bait in front of a hungry fish.

Our next tournament is August 22, at Hubbard's landing on the upper Tensaw River.
It will be our last "short day" tournament of the year (ends at 2PM). Please make plans to attend the meeting and fish the tournament.
We have had great participation for the last 2 meetings and tournaments, and it has been great to see everyone participating.
I look forward to see you all at the next meeting.

Keep Your Hooks Sharp!